Beef Short Ribs Soup(Galbitang)
….Galbitang is one of my family’s favorites. It’s delicious if you make a lot of it all at once. As always, I took out a big pot and filled it with water. But why is it so heavy today?? I felt the weight of my years with my whole body. Making food for my family gives me a big happiness, but my husband was worried about me holding a heavy pot. All of a sudden, the kitchen is busy in just a moment’s thought….hahaha. Fortunately, my grandson SIWOO loves my beef soup. How lovely!!! I try to make a dish that is faithful to the ingredients, and you will make a delicious dish. When I buy beef short ribs for galbitang, there is a market that I like. Let me tell you a little about it. I always buy some beef short ribs from Nob Hill Foods and Whole foods, but it depends on the person. My first choice is definitely Nob Hill Foods for beef short ribs. If you have a chance, please try to compare the beef short ribs. One day, SIWOO told me “thank you for the soup! halmi!” and then he asked his mom(LACEY) “mom! you say thank you too!”.…hahaha. How did he grow up like this…
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus 2 hours for soaking the beef short ribs with cold water
- 4 lb beef short ribs, soaked with cold water
- 16 cup water
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 7 stems green onion
- 3 tbsp gukganjang
- 1 tbsp mixed fish sauce(gukganjang: fish sauce: tuna sauce= 1: 1: 1)
- 3 eggs(this is optional, garnish)
- 1 cup glass noodle(this is optional, garnish)
- 1 cup green onion, minced(garnish)
- black pepper to taste
- 3 jalapeños, sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- sea salt to taste
- Remove the blood, excess fat and impurities by soaking with cold water for 2 hours.
2. Heat a big pot with high heat and pour 10 cup water into the big pot and boil it and blanching the beef short ribs for 10 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and clean the ribs one by one. Sift the ribs.
4. Heat a big pot with high heat and pour the water into the big pot to boil it. Add the blanched ribs into the pot to keep boiling them for 20 minutes with a lid.
5. After 20 minutes, add the garlic, onion, green onion, gukganjang, and mixed fish sauce into the pot to keep boiling them for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, heat down to medium heat and keep boiling them for 20 more minutes. Take out the onion, garlic, and green onion from the pot.
7. Remove any floating fat with a spoon and add some sea salt if it is too bland.
8. Turn off the heat and leave it in a cool place for overnight. The oil hardens and floats up. Take out the fat.
9. Heat a pot with medium heat to boil the beef short ribs soup for 3 minutes and serve it with garnish, black pepper and dipping sauce for meat.
To make dipping sauce for meat:
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, water, and jalapeños into a bowl well.
2. Serve it with the beef short ribs soup.
To make egg strips:
- Beat the eggs with a little salt and 1/2 tsp Mirin.
- Heat up a pan with low heat and add some oil.
3. Pour the egg into the pan to spread thinly, turn off the heat and let it cook on the hot pan for 1 minute. Flip it over and let it sit on the pan for 1 more minute.
4. Slice it into thin strips and set aside.
To make glass noodles:
- Heat a pan with medium heat and add 2 cups beef short soup and glass noodles into the pot.
2. Boil it for 3 minutes and check the glass noodles to cook. Turn off the heat.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.