Brown Butter Scallops
….Grilled scallops have a buttery taste and they take just minutes to make at home. Simply toss scallops with a bit of olive oil, garlic and lemon and grill. Scallops seem fancy but are honestly easy to make. Scallops are one of my daughter LACEY’s favorite ingredients. She loves scallops and likes them cooked in any way, including raw scallops. Pan-seared scallops drizzled with browned butter is a mouthwateringly good way to serve scallops, commonly seen in fine-dining establishments. Brown butter is melted butter with a different flavor brought on by gently cooking any dish or recipe where it’s used. Burnt butter removes moisture and milk. When you make a brown butter, butter burns and smells like Hazel. That is why it is also called Hazel butter. In less than 10 minutes, butter sizzles, forms, and gently cooks into a nutty and caramelized flavored ingredient you can use as a sauce over pasta, meat, fish, or vegetables. Brown butter is so delicious and is a simple kitchen skill anyone can and should master. My husband gave a thumbs up for the flavor……
Time: 30 minutes
- 18 scallops, cleaned and pat dry
- 3 garlic cloves, cracked
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- fresh thyme to taste
- brown mushrooms for garnish
- asparagus for garnish
- 2 tbsp brown butter
For brown butter:
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter(take it out of the refrigerator about 20–30 minutes before starting) if the butter is frozen or too cold, it will splatter and easily burn.
- How to make brown butter: heat a pan with medium heat and add 8 tbsp unsalted butter(cut into pieces so it cooks evenly) into the pan to cook.
2. Keep stirring with a spatula for 5–8 minutes, the butter will turn golden brown(the foam will slightly subside and the milk solids on the bottom of the pan will toast).
3. Turn off the heat and sift the brown butter with coffee filter(remove the milk solids). You can keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
4. Pat dry the scallops and place them onto a cutting board.
5. Sprinkle sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil onto the scallops. Set aside for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, heat a pan with medium high heat and add some olive oil and the marinated scallops into the pan to grill until golden on both sides.
7. Add some thyme, garlic cloves, asparagus, and brown mushrooms into the pan to grill.
8. Sprinkle the brown butter into the pan. Turn off the heat.
9. Serve it with some garnish.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.