….My daughter ANNE loves this dish in the summer. Naengmyun is a well-known summer dish. However it originated as a winter dish. This is the most delicious, unique tasting broth. Even though it takes a lot of effort, the taste is much better than what you can get any other way. The flavors are rich and I guarantee you will get some compliments on it.
Time: 40 min plus 4.5 hr to make the broth
- 1.5 lb dried buckwheat noodle
2. 2 lb beef brisket (1 lb is ok, but 2 lb is better for a delicious broth)
3. 15 cup water
4. 1 onion
5. 5 green onion stems
6. 7 garlic cloves
7. 6 Ts Korean style soy sauce (gukganjang)
8. Vinegar & mustard
9. 2 boiled egg
10. 1 ts toasted sesami seeds
11. 1 cucumber, slice it
12. 1/2 pear, slice it
13. 1/2 cup radish naengmyeon kimchi (this is optional)
- Rinse the beef brisket under cold running water, then soak in a bowl of cold water about 3 hours to remove any blood, so you get a nice and clear broth.
2. Bring the 15cups water to boil in a pot over high heat. Drain the brisket and add to the pot, also add the onion, green onion and garlic with a lid for 30minutes.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 40 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and cook for another 30 minutes.
4.Take out the brisket, throw away all vegetables and put the broth in the fridge to cool down. After cooling down, sift out the fat on top of the liquid.
5. Thinly slice the beef. Cover and refrigerate. (You can use the remaining sliced beef on a salad with fresh vegetables, like this recipe.)
6. Season the broth with the gukganjang. (1.5 Ts gukganjang into 2 cup broth for one dish) Then refrigerate.
7. To prepare the noodles, bring a large pot of water to boil, add the noodles and keep stirring about 3–5 minutes.
8. Take a sample to taste. When you chew the noodles, there shouldn’t be any hard stuff inside.
9. Strain and rinse the noodles in cold running water until they aren’t slippery any more.
10. Drain the noodles, divide them into each noodle bowl.
11. On each noodle bowl, place few pieces of garnish on top. (cucumbers, pears, beef brisket, also radish kimchi)
12. Pour the icy broth into each bowl, sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds, and a half egg(or one egg)on top of each bowl.
13. Serve with vinegar and mustard quickly.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.