Crispy Pork Belly
….Have you tried this dish before? This is the first time I made it. It’s a commonly made dish. You need just 5 ingredients to make pork belly that’s crispy on the outside, juicy and flavorful inside, and so versatile. This easy recipe works beautifully for skin-on pork belly! There are some things to keep in mind when making this recipe to be sure that it comes out perfectly. First, you’ll want to start the process 4–5 days ahead. You’re essentially dry brining the meat and it needs lots of hole with an awl. And then the meat has to be put on the top shelf of a refrigerator without any covering to dry for 4–5 days. I learned how to make this dish from @comble2's YouTube. I could see how much effort the chef put into making her perfect recipe. It’s so delicious and doesn’t need any dipping sauce. Thank you so much @comble2.
Time: 2 hours plus 4 -5 days drying for meat into a refrigerator
- 800 g pork belly skin-in, cleaned and pat dry
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp five spices powder
- 2 1/3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Put the pork belly onto a tray.
2. Aerate the skin(poking 150-200 small holes in the skin with a fork). Do not to poke too deep.
3. Cover the sea salt on top of the skin and leave the sea salt for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, put the five spices powder, 1/3 tbsp(1 tsp)white wine vinegar, soy sauce, and white pepper into a small bowl to mix well. Set aside.
5. After 30 minutes, remove the sea salt from the meat.
6. Flip over the meat and brush the mixed sauce onto the meat neatly.
7. Flip over again and add 1 tbsp white wine vinegar on top of the skin.
8. Place the pork belly on top shelf of a refrigerator to dry it for 4–5 days(do not cover it)
9. After 4–5 days, remove the tray.
10. Add 1 tbsp white vinegar on top of the skin and leave it for 30 minutes.
11. After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 320 F and cook in a preheated oven about 60 minutes(grill it middle rack).
12. After 60 minutes, place the pork belly on the top rack. Heat up the oven heat to 450–500 F and cook it in a preheated oven for 10 minutes(check the meat, do not burn it ).
13. After 10 minutes, remove the tray onto a counter. Turn off the heat. Leave the crispy pork belly for 10 minutes on the counter(rest the meat).
14. Slice and serve (if you want some dipping sauce, use honey mustard or honey sauce).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.