….The first time I have a cucumber sandwich came by chance, during an afternoon tea with my daughter. It consisted of several different types of sandwiches and a sandwich topped with fresh cucumbers too. I didn’t try the cucumber sandwich until the end because I was hesitant. However it was cool, fresh, light and delicious. A must for a tea party. They can be served in many different shapes, but they are always best as small finger food, made with thinly sliced cucumbers, a tangy herb spread, on soft, crustless bread. They originally consisted of buttered bread and cucumber- that’s it. Then the fabulous Southern ladies in the United States discovered them and took these sandwiches up a notch with an herbed cream cheese spread. Today they’re popular at all types of gatherings and for good reason. They’re inexpensive, easy to make, easy to eat, and delicious….
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 4 pieces of sliced white bread
- cream cheese to taste
For tzatziki spread:
- 1 greek yogurt(plain)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- dill to taste
- Julienne 1 cucumber into a bowl and sprinkle some sea salt into the cucumber for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put the greek yogurt, white wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, dill, sea salt, white pepper, and cayenne pepper into a bowl to mix them well.
3. After 20 minutes, squeeze the salted cucumber to remove excess water with a cheese cloth.
4. Put the squeezed cucumber into the mixed sauce to mix them softly.
5. Place 2 pieces of white bread onto a tray.
6. Top the bread with cream cheese and sliced cucumbers on top of the cream cheese(clean up the edges).
7. Add a generous amount of tzatziki sauce on other bread.
8. Put the cucumber bread on top. Cut into 2–4 pieces and sprinkle some white pepper and dill on top.
9. Serve it with a tea(drizzle some olive oil on top of the cucumber- this is optional).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.