….I make some garlic chips once a year and keep them frozen. They are used as a garnish for cooking. It’s a good time to get newly harvested garlic around July. After drying out some moisture, you can make this between August and September. Unfortunately, I have already eaten all the garlic chips in my freezer. So I made some garlic chips today because I had to wait so long until August. The garlic cloves already have a bud inside in January. Although it was broken when I fried them, the result was satisfactory. Doesn’t look good, but tastes good. Garlic chips are a must-have ingredient. It requires some effort. It smells and it isn’t easy but this is much more delicious made at home. Before making garlic chips, soak the garlic with cold water for 24 hours(change water several times) to remove some starch and garlic extract.
Time: 1 hr 30 minutes plus 24 hr soaking time in water(change the water several times)
- 4 cups avocado oil
- 8 cups garlic cloves
- Peel the garlic clove and clean.
2.Slice the garlic thinly with slicer.
3. Soak the sliced garlic in water for 24 hours(the process of removing starch and garlic extract from garlic). Change the water several times.
4. After 24 hours, drain the water and dry the garlic in paper towels.
5. Pour the avocado oil into a pan with medium low heat. Before the oil gets too hot, add the garlic into the pan(start frying from cold oil, in order to take out the moisture and fry until it’s very crispy) about 20–30 minutes. Fry the remaining garlic in the same process. Shake them with chopsticks for a few times.
6. After taking out the moisture, it will fry very fast. The garlic can be fried too much so take it out when it’s lighter than the color you want.
7. Cool down and keep frozen.
8. The avocado oil left in the pan can be used as garlic oil for other dishes, so store in a refrigerator.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.