Grilled Spicy Squid
….There are about 300 different types of squid. They are found in all of the oceans throughout the world. Today, I used the best of my favorite squid that I got from a Japanese market called Nijiya market. I don’t know which type of squid it is. Anyway, whenever Spring comes around here, it reminds me of Korean Spring greens. When I was young my mother used to make a Spring salad on the table each Spring. I didn’t like the taste as it was a little bitter. My mother said that spring greens are small but have a lot of nutrients. Sometimes when I think of the taste, I make this dish with arugula. Arugula is an edible annual plant, used as a leaf vegetable for its fresh, tart, bitter, and peppery flavor. I think, It’s the best for spring time to make grilled spicy squid in it. The bitter taste of arugula helps balance the taste of sweet, spicy, and savory squid. Wake up your appetite in this Spring when you have no appetite. Also this kind of squid is great for a variety of dishes. Finally, I put some Spring flowers on top of the dish from my garden. Enjoy a happy Spring!
Time: 40 minutes
- 20 pieces squid, scored and soaked with milk for 30 minutes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Mat-Gan-Jang
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- Score the squid lightly one side and soak them in milk for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put the gochujang, chili powder, garlic, Mirin, Mat-Gan-Jang, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and honey into a bowl to mix well. Set aside.
3. After 30 minutes, rinse the squid with running water and shift the squid with a strainer. Set aside.
4. Heat a pan with medium high heat and add the avocado oil into the pan.
5. Put the squid into the pan(cut-side facing up). Let it cook a few minutes and then flip it over. The squid will immediately curl.
6. Turn the heat down to a low heat. Baste one side with the gochujang sauce and then flip-it over and baste the other side. Turn off the heat.
7. Put the arugula onto a serving plate. Place the grilled squid on top of the arugula and then put some flowers into the middle.
8. Serve it.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.