….As my husband and I get older, there are some ingredients we should avoid when cooking… like sugar, butter, salt. We have to be careful now. I was thinking whether or not to order a cake for my husband’s birthday a few days ago. I asked him several times, because he likes cakes. But he said in a cool manner “I don’t need it anymore”. It made me hesitate, but I decided — first birthday without any cake for him….. However, my daughter ANNE must have been very upset, so she made lemony turmeric tea cake from scratch for Dad. The recipe was from NYTimes Cooking. It was nice to be able to light candles and sing a song all together. Thanks ANNE! Although it wasn’t gorgeous, it was the coolest cake for Dad in the world. I was so grateful and learned an unexpected wisdom. I need to find alternative ingredients and make it a pleasant table for our old age. This cake is so good and simple to put together. You might come to call it “house cake”.
Servings: 6(one 9 inch loaf)
Time: 1 and 1/2 hours
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ts baking powder
- 1 ts sea salt
- 3/4 ts ground turmeric
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup muscovado
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- whipped cream(this is optional)
- avocado oil cooking spray for greasing the pan
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and turmeric into a bowl well with a whisk. Set aside.
2. Grate 2 Ts lemon zest from 1 lemon into a bowl. Squeeze 2 Ts lemon juice into the bowl.
3. Add the muscovado, sour cream, and eggs into the bowl and mix them well evenly.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix them well with a spatula(mix only in the same direction).
5. Mix the melted butter into the batter(mix only in the same direction).
6. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with the cooking spray and line it with parchment(leaving some overhang on both of the longer sides so you’re able to easily lift the cake out after baking).
7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the top with the lemon slices and some muscovado.
8. Cook in a preheated oven about 50- 60 minutes.
9. Take out the baking pan onto a counter and cool down.
10. Slice the cake and serve it with whipping cream(this is optional).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.