….It’s lasagna the Greek way. Moussaka is a layered oven casserole dish made with vegetables and meat. The most well-known version of moussaka is made with layers of eggplant slices, cheese, and a meat sauce, topped with a thick béchamel sauce. However, I added a creamy layer of mashed potatoes instead of a fussy béchamel. Also I baked the eggplant to reduce some fat to be healthy. This recipe for moussaka turned out to be lighter, with fewer calories and will taste just as amazing. It isn’t exactly a quick recipe but it’s far easier than the classic dish and equally satisfying. Some eggplants can be bitter so it is important to prepare them correctly. Rinsing them and salting, then letting them rest removes that bitterness and they will taste deliciously sweet, creamy and with no hint of bitterness whatsoever! This recipe is not too oily and greasy. Now you can enjoy more of your moussaka guilt-free!
Time: 2 hours
- 3 eggplants, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 lb(700 g) ground beef
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 400 g canned tomato
- 3 Ts tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube(or 1 Ts powder)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 Ts muscovado
- 2 Ts dried oregano
- 1/2 Ts cinnamon
- 3/4 Ts sea salt + sea salt to taste
- 3 Ts avocado oil
- olive oil to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
For mashed potatoes:
- 1 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into half
- 4 cup water
- 2 ts sea salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 Ts butter
- 1/4 ts sea salt
- 1/4 ts nutmeg
- Put the eggplant onto a tray and season the eggplant with sea salt for 30 minutes(remove the bitterness and get sweeter).
2. After 30 minutes, pat dry the eggplant with paper towels and coat some avocado oil with a brush. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
3. Cook in a preheated oven about 15-20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the oven heat and take out the tray onto a counter. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat a pot with medium high heat and add the water, potatoes, and sea salt to boil for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and place the potatoes into a bowl.
6. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
7. Add the milk, egg yolk, butter, nutmeg, sea salt and cheese into the bowl to mix well evenly. Set aside.
8. Heat a pan with medium heat and add 1 Ts olive oil, garlic, and onion into the pan to stir them for 2 minutes.
9. Add the ground beef into the pan to stir them until the moisture is gone.
10. Add the beef broth and white wine into the pan and boil enough alcohol to fly away for 3 minutes.
11. After 3 minutes, add the tomatoes and tomato paste into the pan to mix well.
12. Add the remaining ingredients into the pan. Heat down to low heat to simmer them for 15 minutes until a thick sauce is formed.
13. Assemble all together to layer the baked eggplant, meat sauce onto the oven pan(half eggplant then with half meat sauce and repeat it with remaining filling).
14. Add the mashed potatoes on top of the meat sauce.
15. Sprinkle the panko on top of the mashed potatoes. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
16. Drizzle some olive oil on top of the panko.
17. Cook in a preheated oven about 30–40 minutes.
18. After 30–40 minutes, turn off the oven heat and take out the moussaka onto a counter. Wait10 minutes before serving.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.