Pan- Fried Battered Beef(Yukjeon)
….This is a dish prepared for special occasions such as Birthday and seasonal celebrations. A Korean feast always includes a variety of jeon dishes. Yukjeon is commonly pan-fried in egg batter. But, in this recipe, I marinate meats with soy sauce lightly before pan-frying. I made Yukjeon yesterday on Korean Thanksgiving. ANNE asked me to make yukjeon for this Thanksgiving. When I make a dish my family wants, it makes me excited.
Time: 1 hr
- 1 lb beef, sliced thinly(Rib Eye Steak or New York Strip Steak)
- 6–7 eggs
- 2 ts garlic, minced
- 3 Ts green onions, minced
- 1.5 Ts soy sauce
- 3 Ts water
- 2 ts mirin
- 2/3 ts sugar
- 1 ts toasted sesame seeds
- 2/3 ts sesame oil
- 1 cup flour
- avocado oil
- sea salt
- Remove blood from the meat with paper towels.
2. Make a marinade sauce. Put the soy sauce, garlic, green onion, water, mirin, sugar, toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil into a bowl and mix well.
3. Marinade one by one and set it aside for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Place the flour in a baking sheet. Pick up one slice of beef and coat on both sides. Repeat with the rest of the beef until all are coated.
5. Crack the eggs in a bowl. Beat them with a pinch of salt until they’re well mixed. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat and add some avocado oil to coat it evenly. Dip a beef slice in the egg mixture.
6. Put it in the pan to cook it and repeat with more pieces until your pan is full. Cook for 1–2 minutes until the bottom is slightly light golden brown. Flip it over and let it cook another 1–2 minutes.
7. Remove the cooked yukjeons and keep them on a large plate while you cook the rest. Be sure to wipe down the pan with a clean paper towel between batches so the yukjeons don’t get brown as you cook them.
8. Serve with soy sauce(Mat-Gan-Jang, minced red pepper, minced garlic, sesame seeds, minced green onion, sesame oil: this is optional).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.