Pan-fried Perilla Leaves with Fillings(Kkaennip-jeon)
….I have a small garden in my house to grow my own perilla leaves this year again. It is very easy to take care of the perilla leaves — you only need to water every morning. It’s so fun checking my perilla leaves every morning to see how much they’ve grown since the day before, and harvesting the biggest leaves. Today’s recipe is pan-fried perilla leaves with fillings, and is a fast and light savory side dish. If you like perilla leaves, you will love this dish. We really like the fragrant scent of perilla leaves. But the strong scent depends on personal taste. If you can’t get perilla leaves, kale works well for this recipe. My husband loves meat and I only use a thin layer of beef mixture inside, otherwise they will be too thick and will take too long to cook. When it’s thin, it cooks fast and the egg gets golden brown, never overcooked and burnt. They look gorgeous on the table.
Time: 50 minutes
- 15–17 perilla leaves, cleaned and pat dry
- 1/2 lb beef, grounded
- 1 tbsp green onion, minced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt +a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp egg wash
- 3/4 tsp potato starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp flour
- avocado oil to pan-fry
- Put the beef, green onion, ginger juice, sea salt, soy sauce, egg wash, potato starch, and sesame oil into a bowl. Mix it by hand until it’s well incorporated and turns into a sticky lump.
2. Sprinkle some flour onto one side leaf. Put about 2 tsp meat mixture into the inside of a leaf, thinly covering the center of it. Fold the leaf over to make a triangle. Repeat with the rest of the perilla leaves and the meat mixture.
3. Put flour onto a tray and one by one, press the outside of perilla leaves into the flour to coat.
4. Beat the egg in a tray and add a pinch of salt and Mirin into the tray.
5. Heat a nonstick pan with medium low heat and add some avocado oil into the pan. Tilt the pan to spread it around. Dip each perilla leaf in the beaten eggs and place into the pan one by one.
6. Fry them until cooked(be careful not to overcook the meat mixture inside).
7. Place them onto the sheet pan with paper towel(remove some oil).
8. Serve it with some dipping sauce(soy sauce: vinegar =2: 1).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.