Pan-Fried Pork Belly with Leek
….There are vegetables everywhere that look different but taste similar. When I first saw leeks 20 years ago. I was curious about the taste, so I bought it at that time. Leeks are much sweeter than green onions, and the way you cook them determines the flavor. I love leeks, and whenever I can I get my hands on the fresh and young leeks. Over the year, I developed the best methods for cleaning leeks as it can be challenging for the first time — slice and soak with cold water before using them(it helps to remove some remaining soil inside leeks). You can eat them raw in salads, but most people prefer to cook them. Whatever method of cooking you choose, the texture will change. Leeks will become more creamy and buttery with a mild flavor and added aroma of the ingredients cooked with them. Usually I add them in pan-fry dishes and soups, and the result is better than with green onions. Roasting leeks ensures crisp texture and melting sensation in your mouth. It is an ingredient that my daughters like better than the spicy taste of Korean green onions.
Time: 40 minutes
- 500 g pork belly
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and cut into 1 inch(soak into cold water for 10 minutes before using)
- 2 red pepper, removed seeds and sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 tbsp Mat-Gan-Jang
- 3 tbsp apple juice
- 2 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice syrup
- black pepper to taste
…. all mixed
- Heat a pan with medium high heat and add the avocado oil into the pan.
2. Grill the pork belly for 2 minutes each side until golden brown. Add the garlic into the pan to grill them together.
3. Turn off the heat and place the pork belly onto a paper towel to remove some oil. Set aside to slice the pork belly into a small size.
4. Put the apple juice, Mat-Gan-Jang, ginger juice, black pepper, and rice syrup into a bowl to mix well.
5. Heat the pan with medium high heat and add the sliced pork belly, cooked garlic, and the mixed sauce into the pan to simmer them until the moisture is gone.
6. Add the leek into the pan to stir them for 1–2 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat.
8. Serve it with sliced red pepper on top of the grilled pork belly.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.