….Recently My daughter ANNE made poke bowl with my Mat-Gan-Jang from scratch. I’ve been making Korean flavored soy sauce(mat-gan-jang) for a long time, and it is one of my must-have ingredients. It adds so much flavor in my cooking without adding many ingredients each time when I cook. Frankly, I learned this recipe from my mother who made her mat-gan-jang from a long time ago. When I was young, I didn’t like the smell of the mat-gan-jang whenever my mother boiled the soy sauce….Why did I hate it so much? Every time that happened, my mother laughed and said “You will make it someday like me….haha”. Those words soon became reality. The precious recipe my mother taught me has been with me for over 30 years. It’s a very precious ingredient that conveys my heart to someone. Reminds me of a friend who smiles broadly after receiving my mat-gan-jang. Whenever you have a recipe that requires sugar and soy sauce, just use the mat-gan-jang. Mat-gan-jang is also great when something’s a bit bland, and a great addition for fried rice, poke sauce, and stir-fries. Especially, my daughter ANNE already knows the taste of grandma’s mat-gan-jang.
Time: 30 minutes
- 150 g amber jack fillet(sashimi), pat dried and cubed
- 150 g tuna fillet(sashimi), pat dried and cubed
- 150 g salmon(sashimi), pat dried and cubed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2–3 red radish, sliced
- 1 tbsp shallot, minced
- green lettuce to taste
- seasoned frying fish roe to taste
- 3 cups steamed rice
For Asian dressing:
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp Mat-Gan-Jang
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- white pepper to taste
For spicy soy sauce:
- 1–2 tbsp sriracha
- 3–4 tbsp Mat-Gan-Jang
- Put the lemon juice, vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, Mat-Gan-Jang, honey, sea salt, and white pepper into a bowl to mix well. Set aside.
2. Put the sriracha and Mat-Gan-Jang into a bowl to mix well and set aside(sprinkle some spicy soy sauce into the poke bowl if you want).
3. Cut the fish fillet into cube and place them into a tray.
4. Mix the cubed fish, shallot, and Asian dressing lightly and set aside.
5. Place the sliced avocado and some green lettuce onto a serving plate.
6. Put the steamed rice on top of the avocado.
7. Put the sliced cucumber and radish on top of the steamed rice.
8. Put the marinated fish on top of the cucumber with a dish ring.
9. Take out the dish ring and add the seasoned frying fish roe on top of the poke.
10. Serve it with the spicy soy sauce.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.