…. My daughter ANNE asked me to cook yangnyeom gejang. I already expected the delicious taste of this dish while writing the recipe because the quality of the raw crab was great in the process of cleaning the crab. This spicy raw crab dish is prepared by mixing red chili powder and other seasoning with fresh raw crab. This is a very popular Korean cuisine that everyone loves. It is intended to be eaten soon after cooking, as it is not a fermented dish that can be preserved for a long time. We call yangnyeom gejang a “meal thief”, a dish so delicious that the bowl of rice is gone in no time. I tried to make a faster, spicier version, which is utterly delicious and addictive. It’s easy to make this dish with only two steps. Although these are really two big steps, it takes quite a lot of effort for shopping for fresh crabs. It is not easy to clean crabs, but you can get a taste of the reward for your efforts. It’s so delicious that you’ll keep craving the sweetness of female crabs. Especially, DJ liked this dish and gobbled it up…WOW! I was very happy.
Time: 1 hour
- 2 kg(8–10) fresh crab or frozen crab(defrosted), cleaned and pat dry
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and julienned
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed and julienned
- 6 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp rice syrup
- 3 tbsp soft chili powder
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- steamed rice to taste
For soy sauce:
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 3 tbsp plum extract
- 2 tbsp muscovado(or sugar)
- 1 tbsp ginger, sliced
- Put a sauce pot with medium heat and add the soy sauce, fish sauce, Mirin, plum extract, muscovado, and ginger into the sauce pot to boil them for 1–2 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
2. Brush the crabs in cold running water to clean them thoroughly and put the crab in a tray(put the stomach down, remove some water).
3. Pat dry and open shells(remove the fins and clean, also remove the black sand bag)with your hands. Cut the crab into small size pieces with scissors. Crush the hard claw with the back of your knife, which will help you get to the delicious meat without damaging your teeth.
4. After cooling down the boiled soy sauce, remove the ginger and put it into a bowl. Add the chili powder, soft chili powder, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, and rice syrup into the bowl and mix well.
5. Mix the spicy sauce into the crabs well.
6. Add the onion, jalapeños, and red pepper into the bowl and mix them softly.
7. Serve it with steamed rice. You can keep in the refrigerator for up to 1–2 days.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.