….The beef pickle that my mother used to put on the sometimes monotonous dining table with her care was a special treat. I remember it tasting good even when the meat was just grilled, as it was marinated in a tender sauce beforehand. My mother would add her homemade pickles and green onions, and then roll it up and grill it for us. Grilled green onions are one of the ingredients that only my husband and I love. Even if I recommend it to my family, they don’t easily accept ingredients that each of them dislikes. My eldest daughter doesn’t even like the smell of green onions, so when I make broth, I secretly add green onions, and she always figures it out like magic. Now, I no longer recommend or secretly use ingredients but respect everyone’s tastes and avoid them when cooking as a mother. Why did I try so hard to make children eat the food they disliked when I was young? Letting go of that feeling now, our dining table is just delightful.
Time: 40 minutes plus marinate the beef with sauce for 1 hour
- 300 g beef (Striploin), sliced thinly
- 60 g of cucumber pickles, sliced into 3–4 pieces each
- 15–20 pieces of green onion, each cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
For beef marinade sauce:
- 50 g onion, grated
- 2 tsp parsley, minced
- 1/2 or 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Combine the onion, parsley, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, sake, sea salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
2. Place a piece of beef on a tray and spread the sauce onto the beef. Repeat this process for the remaining beef to marinate it. Store them in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour, take a piece of the marinated beef and sprinkle some flour on it. Then, add a pickle slice and 2 pieces of green onion on top of the beef. Gently roll them together and place them on a tray.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the avocado oil to it.
5. Grill the beef roll until it turns golden brown.
6. Serve it hot, optionally with perilla leaves.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.