Shrimp & Yam Meatball Soup
….Have you ever tried a mountain yam? This almost bland mountain yam can be used for cooking in a variety of ways, either raw or roasted. Occasionally, I tried it raw or roasted to be healthy, but my family didn’t like it. Apart from their delightful taste, mountain yam cooked without salt is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Particularly after peeling it, you will find that you need an extra finger muscle to hold the root to slice it. To stop the root from slipping, I used a piece of paper towel to hold the peeled yam root. This also prevents the yam pulp sticking to your hand, which may make your skin itchy… I became interested in this recipe for making a ball with shrimp and ground mountain yam. This is a simple dish that most people will love. Although the ingredients are simple, making shrimp balls is not easy. It is because of the thickness of the mountain yam, but the texture is good when fried. It does not lack flavor and is a perfect main dish. This recipe is @booth108kwon.
Time: 1 hour
- 30 shrimp, peeled, deveined(570 g after peeled)and chopped
- 2/3 cup mountain yam, ground
- 4 stems green onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste(this is optional)
- 4–5 tbsp sweet rice powder
- 1 cup udon soup base
- 5–6 cups water
- 4 shiitake mushroom, sliced
- alba mushrooms to taste
- 4–5 baby bok choy, cut into half
- canola oil to fry
- Put the shrimp, yam, sea salt, green onion, and black pepper into a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. Heat a pot with medium high heat and add the udon soup base and the water into the pot to boil.
3. Add the mushrooms into the pot to boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Heat a pan with medium high heat and add the canola oil into the pan. Heat the oil 350 F(when you put wooden chopstick in the oil, there should be bubbles around the chopstick). Place several layers of paper towels on a sheet pan.
5. Coat the shrimp balls with sweet rice powder(remove with a spoon and roll). Fry the shrimp balls for 1–2 minutes until light brown.
6. Place them onto a sheet pan(remove some oil).
7. Heat the udon soup pot with medium high heat and add the bok choy into the pot to boil them for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
8. Put some fried shrimp balls into a serving bowl and pour the udon soup into the serving bowl. Serve it.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.