Spicy Beef and Vegetable Soup( Yukgaejang)
….This soup is smoky and spicy with sliced beef and plenty of vegetables that are soft. It’s a satisfying, warming meal. ANNE wants to know this recipe. She loves mom’s Yukgaejang. I add lots of mushrooms, since my family loves mushrooms. If you get great some beef brisket from a market, the beef broth will taste great. It’s all of the recipe. Personally, the Whole Foods market’s beef brisket is delicious. JOHN and DJ are always happy with this dish.
Time: 1 hr 30 min plus 2 hr soaking the meat with cold water
- 1.5 lb Beef brisket
- 10 cup water
- 2 cup green onion, cut into 2 inches
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, parboiled*
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cup king oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup brown beech mushrooms
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Ts garlic, minced
- 1/2 ts black pepper powder
- 2 1/2 Ts chili powder
- 4 1/2 Ts Korean style soy sauce(gukganjang)
- 1 Ts toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Ts sesame oil
- 1/2 cup fernbrake(gosari)(this is optional)
- 4 cup steamed rice
- Soak the beef brisket into cold water for 2 hours and drain the water.
2. Turn on the heat to high heat and boil the water and beef brisket into a big pot for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour, take out the meat to cool down and tear the meat finely by hand.
4. Mix the green onion, oyster mushrooms, onion, king oyster mushrooms, brown beech mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, black pepper powder, chili pepper, gosari, gukganjang, beef brisket, toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil well.
5. Heat up the beef broth pot with high heat and pour the mixed ingredients into the pot to boil them for 10–15 minutes.
6. Add some gukganjang if it is too bland. Serve with rice.
*How to parboil the oyster mushrooms:
- Bubbles form when boiled.
- Clean them and drain the water.
- Use them.