….When my daughter ANNE was young, she couldn’t eat spicy chicken& vegetable soup. It was difficult for me to control spiciness for my daughter. So out of curiosity, I separated the soup and spicy sauce. It’s good adding the spicy sauce depending on your taste. Since then it has become my recipe for family. This soup is very savory, and using a whole chicken makes the broth very tasty with the smoky hot pepper flake mixture, all the added vegetables, and especially mushrooms. If you make a soup, add lots of mushrooms which adds great flavor to the soup. You just need to serve with a bowl of rice and kimchi and it’s a perfect meal.
Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour making chicken broth
- 1 whole chicken, skin peeled
- 16 cup water
- 4 cup king oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cup brown beech mushrooms
- 4 cup green onion, cut into 1.5 inches
- 3 Ts garlic, minced
- 3 cup onion, sliced
- 2 Ts toasted sesame seeds
- black pepper to taste
- 4 Ts gukganjang
- 2 Ts mixed fish sauce(gukganjang: fish sauce: tuna sauce= 1: 1: 1)
- 2 Ts sesame oil
- 2 fresh green pepper for garnishes(this is optional), sliced thinly
For spicy sauce:
- 1 Ts garlic, minced
- 4 Ts chili powder
- 4 Ts soup broth
- Heat a pot with high heat and add some water into the pot to boil. Blanch the whole chicken into the pot to boil them for 10 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and clean the chicken again. Pour out the water and then pour 16 cup water into a pot. Put the chicken into the pot to boil for 50 minutes with a lid(remove any floating bubbles with a spoon).
3. Turn off the heat and take out the chicken onto a tray to cool down.
4. After cooling down, tear the whole chicken meat into a small size by hand(take off all the bones). Set aside.
5. Mix the onion, green onion, king oyster mushrooms, brown beech mushrooms, garlic, sesame seeds, black pepper, gukganjang, mixed fish sauce, and sesame oil into a bowl well lightly.
6. Heat the chicken broth pot with high heat and add the mixed vegetables into the pot to boil them for 7–8 minutes.
7. Add the chicken meat into the pot to boil them 2–3 minutes.
8. Make a spicy sauce: mix the garlic, chili powder, and soup broth well.
9. Serve it with the spicy sauce, green pepper(this is optional), and a bowl of steamed rice.
You can also view this recipe on instagram.