….Zucchini dumplings were mainly eaten in summer, because there was no winter kimchi in the summer during my ancestors’ generation. It tastes very light and clean without kimchi and tofu. “Pyeonsu” means dumplings made with vegetables. I made this dish with few ingredients- zucchini, shiitake mushroom, and beef. I prepared all the ingredients by frying them. Nowadays, my grandson SIWOO is starting to eat dumplings. It’s the beginning of autumn, but I made zucchini dumplings for my grandson. My husband JOHN continues to eat them with a word…… “ Don’t make other dumplings anymore! It’s so delicious!” A few days ago, Siwoo called “Hi! JOHN!!” instead of halbi(grandpa). Everyone in my family laughed and laughed….hohoho. We love Siwoo!!
Time: 40 minutes plus 30 minutes for marinating beef, salting zucchini with sea salt, and soaking dried shiitake mushrooms with cold water
- 650 g zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 lb beef short rib, sliced thinly
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced thinly
- 40 pieces dumpling wrapper, thawed out in the fridge
- 1 1/3Ts green onion, minced
- 1 1/3 Ts garlic, minced
- 2 Ts soy sauce(or 3 Ts)
- 1 1/3 Ts muscovado
- 4 ts toasted sesame seeds
- 1 2/3 Ts sesame oil
- 12 g sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- avocado oil to stir fry
- 1 egg white
- Salt the julienned zucchini into a bowl with the sea salt for 30 minutes.
2. Marinate the beef, shiitake mushroom, soy sauce, muscovado, garlic, green onion, toasted sesame seeds, black pepper, and sesame oil into a bowl well. Set aside for 30 minutes. Set aside.
3. After 30 minutes, squeeze the salted zucchini into a strainer with a cheese cloth lightly.
4. Heat a pan with medium heat and add avocado oil, 1 ts garlic, and 1 ts green onion into the pan to stir them for 30 seconds.
5. Add the salted zucchini into the pan to stir them for 2–3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
6. Add 2 ts sesame oil, 2 ts toasted sesame seeds, 1 ts muscovado into the zucchini to mix well lightly. Set aside to cool down.
7. After 30 minutes, heat a pan with medium high heat and add the marinated meat to stir fry them until the moisture is gone. Set aside to cool down.
8. Mix the cooked zucchini and the cooked meat into a bowl well lightly.
9. Put a wrapper on your palm and put some egg white on the edge of the wrapper. Add 1 tablespoon of filling to the center of the wrapper and fold it diagonally to seal. Repeat until you’ve made dumplings from all your fillings.
10. Heat a steamer with medium high heat and put the dumpling into the steamer for 5–6 minutes with a lid.
11. Turn off the heat and serve it with soy sauce(1 Ts soy sauce+1 Ts vinegar + 1 Ts water +1/2 Ts sugar: this is optional ).
You can also view this recipe on instagram.